The perfect balance of tart and sweet, these Lemon Blackberry Bars are made healthier by using wholesome ingredients. They’re also gluten, dairy, and refined sugar free!
- 1 cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats (make sure to use certified gf, if you need it)
- 1/2 cup Almonds or another nut of choice
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar/regular sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons melted Coconut Oil (melted butter or another oil will work too)
- 2–4 tablespoons cold water (start with LESS, add more if needed)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey/pure maple syrup (I used half and half. Agave can be used instead)
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup lemon juice (2–3 lemons, depending on how tart you like it)
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Flour (add 1/2 tbsp if you use 2/3 cup of lemon juice)*
- 1.5 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blackberries (blueberries or raspberries can be used instead)
- *1/4 cup regular all-purpose or a good gf all-purpose flour can be used instead of coconut flour.
- Preheat oven to 350F. To make the crust, combine oats, almonds, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Blend until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add oil and then add water one tablespoon at a time, blend just until mixture comes together. It should easily press together, but not be overly wet. Sometimes it may only take 2-3 tablespoons, so it’s important not to add all of the water at once.
- Press mixture into the bottom of a parchment paper lined or well greased 8×8-inch pan. Bake in the 350F oven for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool while you make the lemon filling.
- In a blender or processor, add eggs, honey/maple syrup, lemon juice, coconut flour, lemon peel, and salt. Blend until smooth. Carefully pour mixture over the oat crust and sprinkle berries evenly over the filling. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown and the filling in the middle has set. Remove and let cool before placing in the refrigerator. Refrigerate for several hours before serving. Cut into squares and serve chilled. Store remaining bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Category: Dessert