These apple crumb bars have a crunchy oat crust and a delicious apple cinnamon filling. They are vegan friendly, gluten-free, and refined sugar free as well!
- 2 cups rolled oats (make sure they’re certified gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (or melted butter, if not dairy-free)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (honey or other liquid sweetener can also be used)
- 1–3 teaspoons water, if needed, to help dough come together
- 1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Blend whole oats in a food processor until finely ground. Blend in almond flour and salt. Pour in coconut oil and maple syrup, pulsing until mixture is crumbly. If mixture is too dry, add water a teaspoon at a time, just until it holds together when pressed between two fingers.
- Remove 1/2 cup of oat mixture and set aside. Press remaining mixture into the prepared pan.
- For the topping, blend reserved 1/2 cup oat mixture with finely chopped pecans. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add chopped apples and spices. Saute for 2–3 minutes then pour in maple syrup and cornstarch/water slurry. Cook together until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
Putting It Together:
- Spread apple mixture over prepared crust. Sprinkle crumble topping over apple mixture and place into the oven. Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until crumble is golden brown.
- Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Makes 12–16 bars, depending on how large you cut them.
- Store leftover bars in an airtight container in a cool room for 1–2 days or in the refrigerator for 4–5 days.
- Category: Dessert, Vegan, Gluten Free