An Italian-inspired appetizer with bright hazelnut pesto spread over toasted sourdough and finished with fresh tomato and red onion. Can easily be made gluten and dairy free with recommended adjustments!
For the Toast:
- 4 slices sourdough bread (use gluten-free, if needed)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- sprinkle of kosher salt
For the Pesto:
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, plus a few extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (to sautée)
- 3 scallions, green part chopped and bulbs discarded
- 1/4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 3 cups parsley leaves, stems discarded
- 1 cup grated parmesan (can also use dairy-free parmesan)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Garnish:
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- a few hazelnuts for grating
- Brush each side of the sliced bread with olive oil and lightly sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
- Lightly toast hazelnuts in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring often, until fragrant. About 2–3 minutes. Transfer the bowl of a food processor.
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil and tilt the pan to coat the bottom. Quickly sauté scallions and shallot for 1–2 minutes, until wilted. Add garlic and continue to cook until lightly golden brown, an additional 1–2 minutes. Transfer vegetables to the food processor.
- Add parsley, parmesan, oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and salt. Pulse until mixture comes together and is well blended, scraping down sides as needed. Set pesto aside until needed
- Wipe pan clean and place over medium-high heat. Toast bread slices for 1–2 minutes per side, until lightly brown.
- Remove and top each slice with a generous amount of pesto, slices of red onion, and cherry tomato slices. Grate hazelnuts over the top and serve. Makes 4 servings.
- Category: appetizer, snack