This heirloom tomato toast idea is simple yet flavorful and delicious. Grilled toast is topped with an onion & chive cream cheese and fresh heirloom tomatoes. Use dairy-free cream cheese or gluten-free bread, if needed.
As a stay at home, homeschool mom, we’re usually home most of the week. Each day, you’ll either find me helping the kids with school, working on new recipes, catching up with email, or filming/photographing for upcoming posts. Needless to say, we’re quite busy here throughout the week, so quick and easy snacks and meals are a lifesaver! We cut up fresh fruit, make some fresh muffins, or enjoy toast piled high with some yummy toppings. Avocado is the norm, but since the weather is warming up and the markets are overflowing with fresh summer produce, I’ve been topping our toast recently with juicy heirloom tomatoes! I just can’t get enough of these beauties either, as you can see by this pizza, salad, and galette.
I grilled our toast too, which gave it even more flavor, because I obviously can’t wait until it’s summer. Plus grill marks just SCREAM summer, don’t they?! Just wait another month or two though and you’ll probably hear me complaining that I can’t wait until fall because it’s too darn hot down here in the south. For some reason, I seem to always wish it were the opposite season…
Under the juicy tomatoes is a creamy chive & onion cream cheese (I use dairy-free, but feel free to use regular) It gives the toast so much flavor and kind of reminds me of eating an everything bagel—so yum! If you don’t have access to heirloom or feel like spending $$ on tomatoes, feel free to use regular slicing or Roma tomatoes. Enjoy!
- 2–4 slices bread of choice (use gluten-free, if needed)
- olive oil, for brushing bread
- chive & onion cream cheese (recipe below)
- 1-2 large heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- a few smaller baby heirloom tomatoes, halved (optional)
- fresh basil, optional
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz. regular or dairy-free cream cheese
- 3–4 tablespoons minced red onion, more or less to taste
- 1–2 tablespoons chopped chives, more or less to taste
- Blend together cream cheese, minced onion, and chives. Add more onions & chives if needed, to taste. Refrigerate until needed. Makes 1 cup spread so you may have some leftover, depending on how many slices of toast you make.
- Heat an indoor grill pan (or regular grill) over medium-high heat. Brush each side of bread with olive oil and place on the hot grill for 1 minute or so per side, until grill marks begin to appear. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Top the grilled toast with a slather of chive & onion cream cheese and sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and if desired, some basil ribbons.
- Inspired by this recipe on Food & Wine.