the smell of cut grass
food on the grill
These are just some of the things that come to mind when I think about summer.
I love summer. I also love summer foods, like this fresh, veggie filled, quick and healthy, Grilled Corn Salad!
It’s really hard to beat grilled corn. I mean, you can boil, steam, cream, or sauté it, but there’s just something about corn fresh off the grill that I love.
It has those little charred kernels and that smokey flavor, but still manages to be crunchy and juicy at the same time. Mmmm…
Besides throwing these ears on the grill for a few minutes, this salad is pretty much just a matter of chopping up some fresh veggies and throwing them in a bowl!
Even a cave man could do it.
(I can’t remember what I did last weekend, but a silly commercial line, now, that I can never forget! Go figure;)
My cheese-loving family likes to sprinkle some feta cheese on their serving, but I think it’s delish just as is.
Those are a few of the words that come to mind when I think about this salad. I hope you enjoy it, friends!
- 6 ears fresh corn, husks and silks removed
- 1½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup diced cucumber
- ⅓ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- feta cheese crumbles, optional
- After you remove the husks and silks from the corn, give it a good rinse under water. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Place corn on the grill and cook for a total of 8-10 minutes, turning often to lightly brown all sides. Remove from the grill and let cool.
- Stand corn upright with the flat side on a pan or large plate. Using a sharp knife, cut the kernels off by cutting as close to the cob as possible. Try to keep the kernels whole. Place freshly cut kernels in a large bowl, along with the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and basil.
- Pour lemon juice and olive oil over the veggies and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Carefully stir mixture together until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings, to taste. If you are adding the cheese, sprinkle it in and lightly toss together. Serve immediately.