This is my simplified version of a classic Greek salad served in pita pockets. A very fresh and delicious summer meal. Feel free to add any of your favorite toppings, like Kalamata or black olives, grilled chicken, peppers, etc. Omit feta for vegan/dairy-free option.
- 4–5 cups Taylor Farms Romaine Hearts , chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2–1 whole English cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2–1 whole pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup feta cheese, optional (use more or less to taste)
- 3–5 whole wheat pitas
- oil and vinegar or Greek dressing (*my simple vinaigrette dressing recipe is below)
- Place chopped romaine, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and feta into a large salad bowl. Top with a bit of dressing and toss to combine.
- Slice pitas in half and carefully fill each pocket with a generous amount of salad. Top with extra dressing if needed. Best if eaten right away.
1/2 cup quality olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon honey, optional
Place everything into a jar and secure the lid tightly. Shake until well blended. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Category: Salad, Vegetarian, Side