A delicious way to use up all of those juicy tomatoes and fresh basil from the garden! The butter crust is grain and gluten free, and can be adapted to be dairy-free. Paleo-friendly.
- Chilled crust dough
- herb cashew cream
- 1 1/2 lbs. assorted heirloom tomatoes (or your favorite slicing tomatoes)
- egg wash: whole egg beaten with 2 teaspoons water, optional (for a golden brown crust)
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaves, optional garnish
- balsamic glaze, optional
Herb Cashew Cream
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 1 hour (can also use ricotta if not dairy-free)
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, or more to taste
- 2–3 tbsp lemon juice, to taste (omit if using ricotta)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2–5 tablespoons water, as needed to blend
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot starch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup cold grass-fed butter or vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon honey or other sweetener of choice
- 1 large egg or flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
Balsamic Glaze: Optional
Herb Cashew Cream:
- Soak cashews in purified water for 1 hour or more. If you don’t have much time, soak in boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain water and rinse well.
- Place soaked cashews into a small food processor or high powered blender. Add basil leaves, lemon juice and half of the recommended water and blend until creamy. Add additional tablespoons of water until it gets to a creamy “ricotta” consistency. Season with salt and pepper, and adjust seasonings to taste.
Crust: (vegan-friendly crust here)
- Mix together almond flour, arrowroot, and salt in a large bowl. Use a fork or pastry blender to cut in the butter until crumbly and no large chunks of butter/shortening remain. Mix in honey and egg.
- Dough should be moist, but hold together in a ball. If too dry, at a splash of water until the dough comes together easily.
- Cover with plastic wrap and press into a round disc. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until thoroughly chilled.
Putting the Galette Together:
- Preheat oven to 375F. Slice large tomatoes thinly and half cherry tomatoes, if using. Place tomato slices on a few folded paper towels or clean kitchen towel to soak up some of the moisture.
- Roll out chilled dough into a large circle between two pieces of parchment paper. Spoon the herb cashew cream onto the center of the dough and spread evenly, leaving a 2-3 inch border.
- Place the tomato slices on top of the cashew cream and sprinkle with lots of salt and pepper.
- Use the parchment paper to help bring the dough up over the edge of the tomatoes, making pleats in the dough as you continue to fold it over.
- Brush edges of dough with egg wash and sprinkle the edge with more salt and pepper.
- Leave the galette on the parchment paper and slide it onto a baking sheet.
- Place into the preheated oven onto the middle rack and bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
- Cool slightly before serving. Top with fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze (optional).
- *Tip: Glaze can be made in advance and stored in the fridge. If it gets too thick from the cold, just place the container in a bowl of very warm water to heat it back up.
- Place balsamic vinegar and honey in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Continue to cook, stirring often, until sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes, give or take. Remove from heat until ready to use.
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Main dish, paleo, gluten-free