A soft, gluten-free bread loaf perfect for sandwiches or sliced with honey butter! Also dairy and refined sugar free.
- 1.5 cups warm milk (I used plain unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 pkg yeast
- 2 cups Brown Rice Flour*
- 2/3 cups Potato Starch*
- 1/3 cup Tapioca Flour*
- 1 cup Gluten Free Oat Flour**
- 2 teaspoons Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Xanthan Gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup olive oil OR 1/4 cup melted and cooled butter
- yeast mixture
- Gluten Free Rolled Oats, to sprinkle on top (optional)
- *You can also use your favorite cup for cup gluten-free all purpose flour in place of the brown rice flour, potato and tapioca starches, although the texture may vary depending on the brand used. Will equal 3 cups total (Does not include oat flour)
- **You can make your own oat flour by grinding whole oats in a food processor or coffee grinder. Be sure to use certified gluten-free oats, if needed.
- In a microwave safe bowl (or pot) combine milk and honey. Heat for 1 minute or until warm to the touch. Sprinkle yeast over and gently mix. Set aside and let proof for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch (or equal an equal amount of gluten-free all-purpose flour) and oat flour, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum. Mix in eggs and oil, and then carefully pour in proofed yeast mixture. Mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth. The dough will not be thick like regular dough made with wheat. It will be more like a thick paste (see photo above.) Scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula, cover bowl with a clean towel, and set aside in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- At the end of the hour, dough should have risen to almost double. Scrape mixture into a greased 9×5 loaf pan. Using slightly dampened fingers, smooth the top of the bread. Sprinkle oats on top and cover pan with towel again and let rise again for 45 minutes or so, until bread has risen to the rim of the bread pan, preheating the oven to 350F when you have 10-15 minutes left. Place pan into the preheated oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Let cool slightly and remove bread from pan to cool on wire rack. Bread is best eaten fresh. Wrap sliced leftover bread really well and place in a freezer safe bag. Store in the freezer and thaw as needed. Makes 1 loaf
- Prep Time: 2 hours 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Bread