This cake is subtly flavored with spices, like ginger and cinnamon, and topped with fresh pears. It’s naturally sweetened, vegan friendly, and includes a gluten-free option. It’s the perfect cake to celebrate the delicious fall fruit!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (or for gf: 1½ cups gluten-free cup for cup flour blend + ½ cup blanched almond flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1–2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup olive/avocado oil or melted butter/coconut oil (use refined coconut oil for less coconut flavor)
- ⅔ cup maple syrup or honey (I used a combo of both)
- ¾ cup almond milk or other milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 pears*, cored and thinly sliced
Maple Glaze: (optional)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325ºF and lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- Mix together flour(s), baking powder, spices, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add oil, sweetener, milk, and vanilla. Beat 2-3 minutes or until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Pour batter into the springform pan and smooth evenly across the pan.
- Fan pear slices and place onto the batter, pressing them down slightly into the batter.
- Bake cake for 45–55 minutes or just until cake is lightly brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
- For the glaze, mix together the melted butter, maple syrup, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, gently brush the warm cake with the maple mixture. The maple glaze just gives the cake a little shine and is totally optional.
- Let the cake cool slightly and run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake from the sides of the pan. Remove the outside of the springform pan and carefully separate the bottom of the cake from the metal bottom with an offset spatula. Transfer to your serving plate. Yields 8-10 servings.
*I used red anjou pears, but green anjou or bosc pears would also work.
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: vegan, gluten free, dessert