This fuss-free vanilla cake with simple buttercream is delicious and easy to make. Recipe can easily be doubled to make a 3-layer cake or large sheet cake. Vegan friendly with gluten free option included!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour *For gluten-free: 1 cup gf flour blend, 3/4 cup superfine almond flour, 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup pure cane sugar or golden coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk of choice or water
- 1/2 cup olive oil, vegetable oil, or other oil of choice
- 1 tablespoon (not teaspoon) apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- vanilla buttercream, recipe below
- sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8×8 pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour(s), sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add milk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract, mixing just until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and place in the oven on middle rack.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes, or just until center is set and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out mostly clean.
- In a medium bowl, beat softened butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, blending until well combined. Beat in vanilla extract, and 1-3 teaspoons milk/water, if buttercream is too stiff. Spread over cooled cake and top with sprinkles.
- Cover well and store at a cool room temperature for 2–3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
*Blending gluten-free flours significantly improves the texture. I do not recommend subbing all-purpose with only a gf multi-purpose blend.
- Category: Dessert, Cake, Gluten Free