This easy vanilla cake with simple buttercream is delicious and easy to make. Recipe can easily be doubled to make a 3-layer cake or large sheet cake. Vegan friendly with gluten free option included!
With April only a few days away, a delicious spring time treat was just what we needed on our 2nd weekend of #quarantinelife. As a homebody and homeschool mom, it hasn’t been too hard to adjust to being at home 24/7. I’d say the most difficult part is not having access to everyday things, like toilet paper, eggs, almond milk, etc.
It’s a little unnerving going to the grocery store and seeing shelf after shelf completely empty. It’s only creating more panic and urge to hoard things. I’m really hoping things get better in the coming weeks, because we’re literally on our last pack of toilet paper!
I’ve really been relying on the basic staples in my pantry these past couple of weeks. This fluffy vanilla cake couldn’t be more simple and doesn’t even need eggs, which most cakes rely on. Moist cake with an easy 3-ingredient vanilla buttercream is just the yummiest combo, like birthday cake, but without all of the fuss!
I hope you’re able to give this cake a try! It’s one bowl, one pan, and can even be doubled if you want a multi-layer cake or larger sheet cake. Super simple and delish! Enjoy, friends! Hope you’re all staying safe during this time! 💗
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (*For gluten-free: 1 cup gf flour blend, ¾ cup superfine almond flour, ¼ cup coconut flour)
- ¾ cup pure cane sugar or golden coconut sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk of choice or water
- ½ cup olive oil, vegetable oil, or other oil of choice
- 1 tablespoon (not teaspoon) apple cider or white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- vanilla buttercream, recipe below
- sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8x8 pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour(s), sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add milk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract, mixing just until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and place in the oven on middle rack.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes, or just until center is set and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out mostly clean.
- In a medium bowl, beat softened butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar ½ cup at a time, blending until well combined. Beat in vanilla extract, and 1-3 teaspoons milk/water, if buttercream is too stiff. Spread over cooled cake and top with sprinkles.
- Cover well and store at a cool room temperature for 2–3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.