This lightly sweetened sheet cake is the perfect dessert to serve all year long, since it uses either fresh or frozen berries. It’s easy to make and great for a crowd. Vegan friendly and gluten, dairy, and egg free with refined sugar free option.
- 1 1/3 cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (For gluten-free use: 1 3/4 cups Gluten Free 1-to-1 All Purpose Baking Flour + 3/4 cup blanched almond flour)
- 1 cup pure cane sugar or *coconut sugar (can use an additional 1/4–1/3 cup sugar if you like it sweeter)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1–2 lemons, optional
- 1/3 cup oil of choice (I use avocado oilone !important; margin:0px !important;” /> or vegetable oil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2–3 cups fresh or frozen berries of choice (I used a combo of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease or line a 13×9 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine milk with vinegar in a small glass dish. Let milk sour while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together flour(s), sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
- Mix in sour milk, oil, and vanilla extract until batter is smooth. Pour into prepared pan.
- Evenly top the batter with mixed fruit and place into preheated oven. Bake for 25-40 minutes, or until center of cake is set and a toothpick inserted comes out almost clean (time may vary depending on your oven and if you used fresh or frozen berries.) Let cool before slicing. Delicious served with **whipped cream and additional berries. (see notes for coconut whipped cream recipe)
*Using coconut sugar makes the cake more of a caramel brown color. It also has a richer flavor, but is still delicious!
**Coconut whipped cream: Chill 1 can of coconut cream (I used Thai Kitchen brand.) Remove hardened cold cream and place into a mixing bowl; discard liquid in can. Add 1–2 teaspoons sweetener of choice (I use maple syrup or honey) plus 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and beat together with a mixer until fluffy. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free, Vegan