Triple chocolate scones infused with Earl Grey tea and topped with lavender sugar. Simple, yet so rich and delicious!
- 3/4–1 cup of almond milk or other milk of choice
- 2 Earl Grey Teabags
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or gluten free cup for cup flour blend (I used Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 gf flour blend)
- 3/4 cups of coconut sugar or pure cane sugar
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold grass-fed butter cubed (or 1/4 cup cold coconut oil and 1/4 cup vegetable shortening for dairy free)
- 1/4 cup Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1.5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- splash of vanilla extract
Steeping The Tea:
- Warm up milk in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add the Earl Grey teabags and steep for five minutes. Be sure to press all the milk from the teabags before removing them. Let cool thoroughly before adding it to the mixture.
Making The Lavender Sugar:
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and a pinch of edible lavender. Using your fingers, rub the lavender and sugar together, breaking up the buds and blending the oils with the sugar. Set aside for later.
Making The Scones:
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in butter or oils until thoroughly incorporated and mixture is crumbly. Add your chocolate chips and then the milk a little at a time, just until the dough comes together. You may not need all of the milk. Just add enough liquid to make it hold together; it should be thick like biscuit dough, but not crumbly (see photo above.) You don’t want to add too much liquid or it will be really sticky and will flatten when baked.
- Place dough onto a baking sheet lined with a piece of parchment paper. Using your hands, shape the dough into a round, flat 1-inch thick disc. Use a knife to cut through the dough, like you would a pizza, first down the middle and then cut each half into 3–4 even wedges. I cut 3 on each side, which made 6 all together, but you could make 8 if you want them smaller. Don’t separate the dough. You will leave them in the circle to bake, so that they stay moist on the inside. Sprinkle the lavender sugar all over the top of the dough. If the dough is too dry, brush on a little water or milk before adding the sugar. Bake in a 425 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15–20 minutes or until center has puffed up and edges are fully cooked. Do not over bake.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before cutting the wedges. Meanwhile, you can make the glaze. In a small bowl combine maple syrup, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Stir until it becomes a smooth glaze. A little more maple syrup or cocoa powder can be added if glaze is too thick/thin. Cut out the wedges and place on a serving dish or cooling rack and drizzle on the glaze.
- Category: Dessert, gluten free, vegan
- Calories: 2760
- Sugar: 211g
- Sodium: 1223mg
- Fat: 112g
- Saturated Fat: 69g
- Unsaturated Fat: 35g
- Trans Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 429g
- Fiber: 19g
- Protein: 35g
- Cholesterol: 244mg