These fudgy chocolate bars are made with wholesome ingredients, like oats and zucchini. They’re also vegan friendly and free of gluten, dairy, eggs, and refined sugar.
- 1½ cups oat flour* use gluten free if needed
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup rolled oats use gluten free oats if needed
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 packed cup finely shredded zucchini, not drained
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil, butter, or other oil of choice
- flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, plus more for top of batter (use dairy-free chocolate chips if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8×8 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together dry ingredients—oat flour, coconut sugar, rolled oats, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add shredded zucchini, milk, coconut oil, flax egg, and vanilla extract, stirring until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips and then spread batter into prepared pan. Top with additional chocolate chips and bake for 25–30 minutes, or just until center is set. Let cool before cutting into bars. Makes 9–16 bars, depending on how large you cut them. Store in an airtight container in a cool room for 2–3 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
*Can make your own oat flour by grinding rolled oats in a food processor or coffee grinder. Just be sure to measure the flour after grinding.
- Category: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dessert