Steel cut oats are much different from rolled oats, and while they take longer to cook, their delicious flavor and texture make it worth the while.
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/4 cups almond milk or milk of choice (a splash more may be needed if you like it a bit thinner)
- 1 cup certified gluten-free steel cut oats (or 2 cups gf rolled oats if you don’t have steel cut)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- pinch of salt
- Maple syrup, coconut sugar, or other sweetener to taste
- Optional toppings: berries, bananas, apples, nut butters, sliced almonds, pecans, cacao nibs, goji berries, shredded coconut, cinnamon, etc.
- Into a large pot combine water, milk, oats, chia seeds and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring with a whisk to remove any chia clumps. Reduced heat to a low simmer and partially cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 20-30 minutes until oats are tender (5 to 10 minutes for rolled oats) stirring often so that the bottom does’t burn. When oats are tender, sweeten to taste and add a splash of milk if too thick for your liking. Serve immediately.
- Category: Breakfast