These cookie tarts are simple to make and a beautiful treat to share with your loved one’s on any occasion. Includes vegan friendly and gluten-free alternatives.
- 1–2 batches of Simple Cut-Out Cookies (depending on how big your cutters are and how many tarts you want to make)
- 1–2 batches Buttercream (Vegan-friendly strawberry recipe below or this Refined Sugar Free Swiss Meringue Buttercream)
- 1–2 cups of fresh fruit of choice (I used an assortment of berries)
- other decorations for the top—meringues, sprinkles, candy, etc.
Vegan Strawberry Buttercream:
- ½ cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance sticks. Can also use regular butter if not dairy-free)
- ½ cup all-vegetable shortening (Can substitute with extra real butter, if not dairy-free*)
- 2–3 cups powdered sugar, until it reaches a firm but spreadable consistency
- 2–3 tablespoons ground freeze-dried raspberries, or more to taste (omit for plain vanilla buttercream)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the cookie dough as directed and roll out to ¼-inch thick. To get cookies with centers cut out, you need a large and smaller cutter of the same shape. For these hearts I used these Wilton Heart Nesting Cookie Cutters and smaller cutters from a set like this one. You want the cutters to be a few sizes different, so that the outline of the cookies are wide enough to decorate. I made some with cut-outs in the middle and left the smaller ones whole. You’ll want 2 of the same cookie to make a sandwich.
- Place cut-outs onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350ºF for 10–15 minutes, until edges are lightly brown. Cookies will still be light in color.
- Let cookies cool thoroughly before decorating.
- To decorate, place buttercream into a decorating bag fitted with a large round metal piping tip. I used Wilton 2A for the larger cookies and Wilton Tip #12 for smaller cookies.
To Make Cookie Sandwiches:
- Take one of the two same shaped cookie and pipe a row of “kiss” shaped mounds along the edge of the cookie. To make the mound squeeze the bag to form a mound and then lift up the bag while releasing some pressure so that the mound forms a peak at the top. Continue piping until the bottom of the cookie is filled, like in the photos above.
- Carefully place the second cookie on top of the piped buttercream to form a sandwich. Pipe kisses along the top cookie and decorate with fresh fruit, smaller cookies, meringues, sprinkles, candy, etc.
- Keep cookie tarts refrigerated until needed. Assembled cookie tarts are best served right away.
- Beat butter and shortening until smooth. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat until incorporated. Frosting needs to be more on the firm side to work for these sandwiches. Add additional powdered sugar, as needed, until you reach the right consistency. Add strawberry powder and vanilla and continue to beat until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add more or less strawberry powder to taste.
- Category: Dessert, Valentine's Day