“Mmmm,” “wow,” “amazing,” “delicious,” “so good,” “the bomb!”
Just a few of the adjectives my taste-testers, aka my family, used when eating these tacos. They were so flavorful, with the perfect balance of sweet, savory, and spicy. I love eating fresh meals like this to welcome the warmer spring and summer weather, don’t you?!
These tacos were a happy marriage of traditional tacos and a taste of the islands. Kind of reminds me of my husband and I—Latin boy meets girl from Hawaii…
Sorry, I have the tendency to make life analogies with food.
Anyway, it’s really hard to go wrong with these tacos when you look at the yum factor of each component. Let’s break it down:
You start off with a soft, homemade flour tortilla (recipe here.) These may be gluten-free, but it’s really difficult to taste a difference. They were waaaay more delicious than any regular store-bought tortillas I’ve ever eaten. To me, homemade is always better.
Add to that yummy tortilla some spicy grilled shrimp that have spent some time marinating in a Sriracha-spiced lime and coconut milk mixture. Oh, yeah!
And then to top it all off, you cover it with a yummy tropical salsa, containing sweet mango, juicy pineapple, ripe avocado, and crunchy bell pepper, among other things.
You can also choose to spice it up with some minced jalapeño, if you can handle the heat, but we usually leave it out for the sake of our kiddos.
These grilled shrimp were delish on their own. I bet they would also be wonderful on a bed of cilantro rice! I’ll have to work on that recipe, haha!
All together it’s like a flavor bomb in your mouth, people! Seriously.. but you don’t have to take my word for it, try them yourselves!
If you get a chance to make these, please comment below and tell me all about it. I value your feedback! I’d also love to see your photos, so hashtag #Wifemamafoodie on Instagram or tag me on Facebook so I can see your creations! Enjoy, friends!
- 12-16oz. Raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- juice and zest of ½ lime
- ½-1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce, depending on how spicy you want it.
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- skewers, if using a regular grill
- shredded red cabbage, optional
- tortillas, recipe for Homemade Gluten-Free Flour Tortillas here.
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- ½ cup diced pineapple
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1-2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeño for heat, optional
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- juice of 1-2 limes
- generous pinch of salt, to taste
- In a shallow dish, stir together coconut milk, Sriracha sauce, lime juice, zest, and garlic. Add raw shrimp, turning once to coat both sides. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to marinate 30 minutes-1 hour, while preparing the other parts of the dish. If using a regular gas or charcoal grill, shrimp will have to be skewered. If using wooden skewers, start soaking in water now.
- In a large bowl, combine together diced mango, avocado, pineapple, red pepper, onion, cilantro, jalapeño (If you're adding it. Will make it very spicy) and garlic. Sprinkle with the juice of 1 lime, a pinch of salt and then gently toss together. Depending on the size of your lime/amount of juice, an additional lime may be needed. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Can also be made a few hours in advance.
- If making the homemade tortillas, begin making those now. Keep warm until ready to use.
- If using a gas or charcoal grill, place shrimp on skewers. You can also use an indoor grill pan, in which case you don't have to use the skewers. Place shrimp on a hot grill/grill pan over medium-high heat and cook for a few minutes on each side, just until shrimp turn pink and opaque.
- Place a small pile of shredded cabbage in each warm tortilla along with 4-5 pieces of shrimp. Top with tropical salsa and serve with additional wedges of lime. Enough shrimp for about 8 tacos, give or take, depending on how much shrimp you use per taco.