These chocolate cupcakes are reminiscent of hostess cupcakes, but much healthier and so delicious! They’re free of eggs, dairy, and gluten! Vegan friendly too!
Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose or gluten-free all purpose flour (I used Bobs Red Mill 1 To 1 Baking Flourone !important; margin:0px !important;” />)
- 1/2 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/2 cup hot brewed coffee or very hot water
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or neutral cooking oil
- 1 flax egg or large egg, if not vegan (flax egg: 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk or cream from the can (if your can separates, use the thick hard cream and not the clear liquid)
- 1 cup quality semi-sweet chips or chopped up bar (Can also use milk or dark chocolate. Use dairy-free chocolate if needed)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3–5 tablespoons milk or water.
- 1/3 cup white chocolate, melted
- 1–2 cans coconut cream, refrigerated overnight (can also use cans of full-fat coconut milk, if you can’t find coconut cream)
- 2–4 tablespoons maple syrup or powdered sugar, use more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For The Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place paper cupcake holders into 12 cups of a muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flour. Stir well before adding the milk, coffee and melted coconut oil. Mix until combined. Add egg and continue to mix until the batter is smooth. Use a rubber scrapper to scrape the sides and bottom of bowl to make sure all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Use a 1/4 cup to scoop batter into each paper liner, filling two-thirds full. You should have enough for about a dozen cupcakes, give or take.
- Place pan into the preheated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until cupcakes are puffed and center is set (should spring back when gently pressed.) Remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Carefully remove cupcakes from the pan and continue to let cool thoroughly before frosting.
- To make coconut whipped cream, open the can of coconut cream and scoop firm coconut out into a mixing bowl; reserve any liquid in the can for thinning the cream. You may only need 1 can, depending on how much cream is in it.
- Begin beating cream with a mixer. If cream is too firm and thick, a liquid maple syrup can be used to help thin it out. Can also use a little reserved water left in can.
- If coconut cream is really soft, I would suggest using powdered sugar or a granulated sugar over a liquid sweetener which may make it too runny.
- Add vanilla and continue to beat until fluffy and smooth. Place whipped cream in a piping bag or sandwich baggie and cut about an inch-wide opening.
- Gently push cut corner of bag into the center of each cupcake and squeeze a small dollop of cream into the center of each cupcake. Don’t squeeze too much or cupcakes can split open.
- When cupcakes are filled, place a spoonful of ganache onto each cupcake and smooth with the back of a spoon or an offset spatula.
- Powdered Sugar icing: Place powdered sugar into a medium mixing bowl. Add vanilla and start with 2 tablespoons of milk, stirring until smooth. Add more milk, a little at a time, just until the icing is thin enough to pipe. Do not add too much liquid or the icing will spread and not hold its shape. Add more powdered sugar to thicken or more milk to thin until you get the right consistency. Place into a piping bag fitted with a small round tip or into a plastic baggie with a tiny cut in the corner of the bag. Write or decorate on the top of each chocolate covered cupcake.
- Melted White Chocolate: Melt the white chocolate and place into a piping bag fitted with a small round tip or into a plastic baggie with a tiny cut in the corner of the bag. Write or decorate on the top of each chocolate covered cupcake.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Makes 12-14 cupcakes.
To Make The Ganache:
- Combine chocolate and coconut milk in a heat-safe bowl and place over a small pot of boiling water. Stir mixture continuously until chocolate is melted and smooth. Turn off the heat and cover to keep chocolate warm until needed.
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dessert, Vegan, Gluten-Free