This Chocolate Snack Cake with Chocolate Buttercream is a simple and delicious dessert which can be made in less than an hour. It’s vegan friendly and also includes gluten-free and refined sugar free options.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose or gluten-free all purpose flour, I used King Arthur Measure for Measure Gluten-free Flour
- 1 1/4 cups coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 2/3 cup brewed coffee/espresso or additional milk/water
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or neutral cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Chocolate Buttercream: refined sugar free version here
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8″ or 9″ square pan and if you’d like to remove the cake from the pan, line with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix in milk, coffee, oil, and vanilla, beating just until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and place onto middle rack of oven.
- Bake 30–35 minutes or just until center is set and a toothpick inserted near center comes out mostly clean (time with depend on your pan and oven.)
- Let cool completely before frosting. You can frost the top of the cake in the pan or remove the cake from the pan and place on a serving plate before frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy. Slowly mix in cocoa powder, beating until creamy, and then powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Add a splash of milk if mixture is too dry. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl to get any remaining clumps of butter and sugar, then continue beating mixture for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- Frost completely cooled cake and serve.
- Category: Dessert, Vegan, Gluten Free