This cream pie is a trio of perfection with a tender gf crust filled with a rich chocolate pudding and topped with a honey sweetened coconut whipped cream. Gluten, dairy, and refined sugar free.
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons palm shortening (dairy-free), butter, or a combo of both
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1–3 tablespoons ice cold water, if needed (just enough to make dough hold together)
- 1 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- pinch of salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups almond milk or other milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free or grass-fed butter
- 1–2 cans coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk (can also use 1 cup heavy cream if not dairy-free)
- 3–4 tablespoons honey, coconut syrup, or other sweetener of choice (use more or less to taste)
- Chopped/shaved chocolate or cacao nibs, optional
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add shortening/butter and cut into the flour with a fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly and no large chunks of fat remain.
- In a small bowl mix together lemon juice/vinegar and egg. Add to the flour mixture and blend with a fork. If necessary, add cold water a tablespoon at a time until dough comes together. Careful not to add too much.
- Place dough between two pieces of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Roll into a circle a little larger than your pie plate.
- Use the parchment paper to invert the crust into your pie plate. Trim and shape the edges. Place into the fridge to chill for 20-30 minutes.
- After chilling, prick the bottom of the crust with a fork and line the bottom with a sheet of parchment paper. Fill with pie weights or dried beans and place into the oven. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the paper and weights, and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until the crust is a light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Into a large, heavy saucepan, mix together sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in egg yolks and then slowly whisk in the milk.
- Place on the stove over medium heat, stirring continuously, until mixture is thick and bubbling.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour chocolate filling into the prepared pie shell and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm.
- Scoop firm coconut cream from the can(s) into a large mixing bowl and discard any liquid remaining (I used 2 cans of the coconut cream from Trader Joe’s) Add sweetener and vanilla, and continue to beat until smooth and fluffy (several minutes).
- Cover the pie with the whipped cream and top with chocolate (optional). Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free