This decadent chocolate pudding cake has a fluffy layer of cake which sits atop a rich chocolate sauce created while baking. It’s free of eggs and dairy, with gluten and refined sugar free options also included.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, cane sugar, or coconut sugar* (I used golden coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar or coconut sugar* (I used golden coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups hot water, brewed coffee, or combo of both
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add milk, oil, and vanilla, mixing until smooth. Pour batter in prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients, sugar and cocoa. Sprinkle evenly over the batter, then top with hot water/coffee. Do not stir.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 25–30 minutes, until cake has puffed and looks evenly cooked over the top. It will be jiggly under the cake due to the chocolate sauce, which will get thicker as it cools.
- Let cake cool 10-15 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8.
*Coconut sugar is not as sweet as brown/cane sugar, so you may want to use a few more tablespoons if you want to keep the same level of sweetness.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Dessert, Vegan, Gluten Free