This decadent chocolate pudding cake has a fluffy layer of cake which sits atop a rich chocolate sauce created while baking. It’s free of eggs and dairy, with gluten and refined sugar free options also included.
Kicking off the weekend with some chocolate cake! And not just any chocolate cake, but chocolate cake with a fudgy chocolate sauce that’s magically made while baking in the oven, no additional cooking required!
While there are tons of recipes out there for this chocolate pudding cake, or hot fudge cake as it’s alternatively called, this recipe is vegan friendly, uses olive oil or coconut oil, and has gluten free/refined sugar free options. It also calls for less sugar than most of the recipes out there.
I made this cake with King Arthur Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour and golden coconut sugar. I like golden coconut sugar as it’s a little more mild tasting than regular coconut sugar, but either can be used, as can brown sugar or cane sugar.
This cake can’t be more simple to make. Just place the batter in the pan, top with the sugar/cocoa mixture, then pour the hot coffee/water over top, no stirring needed. The cake bakes up to the top while the chocolate sauce cooks underneath.
It makes the most luscious chocolate cake that pairs perfectly with a scoop of ice cream! Give it a try and leave a comment to let me know what you think! Enjoy!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, cane sugar, or coconut sugar* (I used golden coconut sugar)
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk of choice
- ¼ cup olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup packed brown sugar or coconut sugar* (I used golden coconut sugar)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 cups hot water, brewed coffee, or combo of both
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8 or 9-inch pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add milk, oil, and vanilla, mixing until smooth. Pour batter in prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients, sugar and cocoa. Sprinkle evenly over the batter, then top with hot water/coffee. Do not stir.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 25–30 minutes, until cake has puffed and looks evenly cooked over the top. It will be jiggly under the cake due to the chocolate sauce, which will get thicker as it cools.
- Let cake cool 10-15 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8.