Single serving chocolate lava cake ready to eat in just a few minutes! It’s vegan friendly and free of dairy and refined sugar with a gluten-free option as well! (Recipe and photos updated Feb 20′)
I don’t know about you, but there are some days (and nights ☺️) I just crave something chocolatey. I’m not the type to keep a chocolate bar stashed away, like some do.. hard chocolate just isn’t my idea of an indulgence, but a fudgy “baked” treat on the other hand, I truly have a weak spot for! 😋
My daughter or I will usually make a little cake or pan of brownies for us all to enjoy. However, there are days I just don’t feel like making a fuss. With two driving teens, who often have plans, there are beginning to be less times we’re all at home together. Those days a simple mug cake is the perfect option.
Mug cakes are single serving desserts that can be made in just a few minutes using a microwave. Although I have several mug cakes here on the blog, this chocolate lave mug cake is one of my faves! It’s a chocolate cake with a fudgy gooey center, and it can be ready to eat in under 5 minutes!
This cake is vegan friendly and free of refined sugar, with a gluten free option included as well! I use coconut sugar, but you could also use pure cane sugar or maple syrup. The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar per cake, but as coconut sugar isn’t as sweet as regular sugar, you may need an extra 1/2-1 tablespoon if you prefer sweet cakes.
My mug just isn’t complete without a handful of fresh berries! If I happen to have a can of coconut cream in the fridge, a dollop of coconut whipped cream is also a delicious addition!
You could be digging into chocolate heaven in a matter of minutes! So what are you waiting for?! Go and get your mug cake on! ❤️🍫
- ¼ cup of unbleached all-purpose flour (for gluten-free use 2 tablespoons Gluten Free Flour Blend + 2 tablespoons super fine blanched almond flour)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or pure cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips (use dairy-free if needed)
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- fresh berries, optional
- coconut whipped cream, optional (recipe below)
- In a large mug, combine together flour(s), coconut sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and salt. Stir in milk and oil until well incorporated.
- Place the mug in the microwave and heat on 50% power for 1–2 minutes. If you can't change the settings of microwave, heat for 45 seconds to one minute. Check often to avoid overcooking; more or less time may be needed, depending on your microwave.
- The cake should be mostly cooked with a pocket of chocolate sauce in the middle. If the cake is too gooey for you, heat in 15 second intervals until it's cooked to your liking. It doesn't contain eggs so there is no harm eating it gooey. I like to top my lava cake with coconut whipped cream and fresh berries. Makes 1 serving.
- Place cold coconut cream and honey/maple syrup in a small bowl. Use a small whisk or fork to beat until thick and creamy.
You may also enjoy these similar recipes:
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and purchase an item, I may receive a small commission on your purchase. It doesn’t affect the cost of the product at all and gives me the ability to pay for and maintain this blog. I never link to products I wouldn’t use myself. Thank you so much for your support!