These chocolate crinkle cookies have slightly crispy edges and a fudgy chocolate center. Vegan friendly with a gluten free option, and since the cookies themselves are made with coconut sugar, can be refined sugar free by omitting the powdered sugar coating.
These crinkle cookies are a chocolate lover’s dream! They’re kind of like a cross between a chocolate cookie and a brownie, with crispy edges and chewy, fudgy centers. They make the perfect cookie to share with your family and friends for the holidays, because who doesn’t like chocolate?!
My trick for making these crinkles extra rich and fudgy is using coffee. If you don’t like coffee, you can also use water or any milk of your choosing, but you don’t really taste the coffee. It just brings out the flavor of the chocolate, in my opinion. I also used coconut sugar in these cookies, which makes the cookies themselves free of refined sugar. You can choose not to dip them in powdered sugar to keep them naturally sweetened. They’re delicious either way!
These cookies don’t contain eggs or dairy, so they’re vegan friendly. Using a gluten-free measure for measure flour makes them gluten-free as well!
My family devoured these cookies and quickly claimed them as their new favorite holiday cookie!
I hope you are able to give these delicious cookies a try for yourselves! Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 6 tablespoons brewed coffee or water
- 1 cup measure for measure gluten-free flour blend or unbleached all purpose flour (I used King Arthur Measure for Measure Gluten-Free Flour Blend)
- ¾–1 cup coconut sugar (use more or less to taste. I used golden coconut sugar)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup oil of choice or melted butter/coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾–1 cup powdered sugar, to coat cookie dough (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- In a small cup or bowl, mix together ground flax seeds with coffee. Let stand until flax has gelled.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Mix in oil, vanilla, and gelled flax seed/coffee mixture. Dough should be thick and malleable. If dough is crumbly, add an extra ½-1 tablespoon coffee/water until dough holds together when pressed.
- Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Scoop dough by the heaping tablespoon and roll into balls.
- Coat dough balls very generously in powdered sugar and place a couple of inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes, remove pan from oven and let cookies cool for several minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 16-18 cookies.