These chocolate chip oat bars are simple to make and are full of wholesome ingredients, like oats, almond butter, and dark chocolate. They’re vegan friendly, gluten-free, and naturally sweetened.
- 1½ cups oat flour* (use gluten-free oat flour if needed)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ⅓ cup rolled oats (use gluten-free oats if needed)
- 1½ teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup nut butter (I used almond butter, but peanut butter or a nut-free butter should also work)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil/butter or other oil of choice
- flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water. Let sit for 10 min)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, plus more for top of batter (use dairy-free chocolate chips if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8×8 inch baking pan (or line with parchment paper) and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together dry ingredients—oat flour, coconut sugar, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add almond butter, milk, oil, flax egg, and vanilla extract, stirring until well combined. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips and then spread batter into prepared pan. Top with additional chocolate chips and bake for 18–22 minutes, or just until the edges are golden brown and center is mostly set. They will firm up more as they cool. Do not overbake, unless you want drier, cake-like bars.
- For a clean cut, cool thoroughly before cutting into bars. Makes 9–16 bars, depending on how large you cut them. Store in an airtight container in a cool room for 2–3 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Vegan, Dessert, Gluten-Free