A moist chocolate bundt cake topped with a vibrant hibiscus glaze! This cake is vegan friendly and free of gluten, dairy, eggs, and refined sugar!
Chocolate Bundt Cake:
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose four or gluten-free flour blend (I used King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flourone !important; margin:0px !important;” />)
- 2 1/2 cup coconut sugar or pure cane sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brewed coffee or milk of choice (I use coffee or almond milk)
- 3/4 cup avocado oil, melted coconut oil, or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy-free yogurt or sour cream (can also use regular/Greek yogurt if not dairy-free)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Hibiscus Cream Cheese Glaze: (chocolate alternative below)
- 4 oz cream cheese at room temperature (I use dairy-free)
- 3–4 tablespoons maple syrup, coconut nectar, or other sweetener, to taste
- 2–4 tablespoons water or milk of choice, until it reaches proper consistency
- 1/2–1 teaspoon hibiscus powder*, more or less to taste (Optional. See notes for flavor alternatives)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
Chocolate Fudge Glaze:
- 1 cup quality chocolate, chopped or chips (dark, semi-sweet, milk, or white chocolate work)
- 4–6 tablespoons full-fat canned coconut milk (if you eat dairy, heavy whipping cream can also be used)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Liberally grease a 12–cup bundt pan with coconut oil or vegetable shortening and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until well blended. Mix in coffee/milk, oil, yogurt, vinegar, and vanilla stirring together just until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and spread across evenly. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 50–60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack or cake plate. Remove pan and cool completely before glazing.
Hibiscus Cream Cheese Glaze:
- Place cream cheese into a mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer until creamy. Blend in maple syrup and then milk, a tablespoon at a time, just until the glaze is thin enough to pour over cake. Stir in hibiscus powder and vanilla. See notes for other flavor ideas.
- Pour glaze over cooled cake. Serves 12–16.
Optional Chocolate Fudge Glaze:
- Mix chocolate and coconut milk together in a heat-safe bowl and place over a pot of simmering water. Start with less milk and add more, as needed, until the chocolate easily drizzles off of a spoon. Glaze will set as it cools, so pour over the cake right away, while it’s still warm.
*If you don’t have access to hibiscus powder, you can use a few teaspoons ground freeze-dried raspberries/strawberries, 2–3 tablespoons cocoa powder, or omit altogether for plain cream cheese glaze.
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Category: Cakes, Desserts, Gluten-Free, Vegan