These chocolate and strawberry brownies are fudgy and delicious. They’re also easy to make and can be made vegan friendly and gluten-free!
Brownies are one of my favorite ways to eat chocolate. I’m a lover of all things ooey and gooey, so my brownies must be super fudgy! These chocolate and strawberry brownies are definitely that and more!
Are you a fan of chocolate covered strawberries? If so, then these brownies are a must try! They’re simple to throw together and made without eggs. They can be made without dairy and gluten as well by using the listed substitutions!
Since these brownies don’t contain eggs, it’s ok to take them out early if you like them super fudgy. I bake mine for 25 minutes, but begin checking them after 20 minutes if you like your brownies more gooey in the center; bake longer for more cake-like brownies!
- Chocolate—I use semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate in these brownies, but feel free to use your favorite. Chocolate chips or chopped chocolate both work well. Just be sure to use dairy-free chocolate, if needed.
- Butter—I like to use real butter in these, but Miyoko’s European Vegan Butter also works well. I haven’t tried these with coconut oil yet, but I believe it would work. Please let me know how it turns out if you happen to give it a try!
- Flour—regular all-purpose or a gluten-free all-purpose with xanthin gum (like King Arthur Measure for Measure GF flour blend) both work in this recipe.
- Sugar—I only tested these with organic pure cane sugar. Coconut sugar may work, but I haven’t tried it yet. I do not recommend using a liquid sweetener in these.
- Flaxseed—Since these don’t have eggs, flaxseed helps to bind these together. I haven’t tried with anything else, so I don’t have any recommended subs.
- Coffee—Adding coffee to chocolate brings out the richness of the chocolate. You don’t really taste the coffee, but it enhances the flavor. Plain water can also be used.
I hope you enjoy this chocolate-berry combo! Be sure to comment below if you give these a try! Bon appétit!
Chocolate and Strawberry Brownies
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 9 large or 16 smaller squares 1x
These fudgy brownies combine the delicious flavors of chocolate and strawberries. They’re easy to make and can be made vegan friendly and gluten-free!
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1/3 cup brewed coffee or water
7 tablespoons butter or dairy-free butter
1 1/3 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate, divided (chopped or chips. Use dairy-free if needed)
3/4 cup granulated sugar (can use 1 cup if you prefer it more sweet)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free measure for measure flour blend
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup strawberry jam or preserves, optional
4–5 strawberries, hulled and sliced thick
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line an 8×8″ pan with parchment paper and set aside.
In a microwave safe bowl, combine flaxseed, coffee, butter, and 1 cup of the chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir. If chocolate isn’t fully melted, microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in between, until fully melted. Stir until smooth.
Stir in sugar and vanilla, then add flour, baking powder, and salt, mixing until well combined. Fold in strawberry preserves and some of the reserved chocolate chips/chopped chocolate.
Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle batter with remaining chocolate chips and top with strawberry slices. Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until center is no longer jiggly. Begin checking on it at 20 minutes for more fudgy brownies. Bake time may vary depending on your pan and oven. Brownies may appear slightly undercooked, but solidify as they cool.
Let cool completely before cutting and serving. Brownies are very delicate right out of the oven. They firm up as they cool. Makes 9 large squares or 16 smaller squares.
Brownies loosely adapted from this Tasty recipe
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
Leave a Reply