These pancakes are simple to make and flavored with warm, chai spices. They’re vegan friendly and free of dairy, gluten, and refined sugar!
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose or gluten-free cup for cup flour blend (I use King Arthur multipurpose gluten-free flourone !important; margin:0px !important;” /> or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flourone !important; margin:0px !important;” />, in the blue bag)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom*
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice or cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups almond milk or other milk of choice
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil, melted butter (dairy-free or regular butter, if you consume dairy) or other oil of choice, plus extra for greasing pan.
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener of choice,
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- crushed walnuts or pecans, for serving (optional)
- fresh figs, for serving (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, allspice, and salt. Add milk, oil, maple syrup, and vinegar, stirring just until blended.
- Heat a griddle or nonstick pan over medium heat. Add a little coconut oil/cooking oil to the pan and spread to coat.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop pancakes onto the hot griddle. Cook for a minute or so on each side, flipping the first time when bubbles begin to appear or edges are lightly brown.
- Top with crushed pecans or walnuts and sliced figs. Makes 2–3 servings
*If you don’t have cardamom, just add a little more of the other spices in its place.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: breakfast, vegan