This simple hash has a mixture of root vegetables and brussels sprouts. It’s filling and perfect for breakfast or dinner! Just omit the egg for a vegan/vegetarian friendly version!
- few tablespoons cooking oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1/2 large red or yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium russet or other white potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup brussel sprouts, stems removed and quartered
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- fried eggs, 1–2 per person (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place a large skillet on the stove over medium heat. When hot, drizzle 1–2 tablespoons of oil into the pan and add diced onion, all the potatoes, and carrots. Sauté for 5–6 minutes then add the water to the pan. Cover the pan and let steam for a few minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Remove the lid and stir in the brussels sprouts and garlic. Season generously with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender. Serve with eggs (optional) or protein of choice. Makes 3–4 servings.
Serve with fried eggs: (optional)
- In a separate non-stick skillet, drizzle a bit of oil and place over medium-high heat. Once hot, crack an egg into pan and let the egg white set. Depending on the size of your pan, you may can cook 2–3 at a time. If there’s room, add more eggs. To get sunny side up eggs, loosely cover the pan with a lid and turn the heat down to low. Cook for a few minutes, until the whites are fully cooked and yolks are to your liking.
- To cook the yolk further, flip the egg and cook on the other side for 1–2 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Breakfast, Gluten Free