These blueberry breakfast cookies are made out of wholesome ingredients, like oats, fruit, almond butter, and flaxseed. They make a great healthy snack or on-the-go breakfast! Vegan friendly, plus free of gluten, oil, and refined sugar.
After having kids, you almost forget what life was like before parenthood. “What did we use do in our spare time?” I had asked my husband after our second child was born. I couldn’t imagine what previously occupied my time, which was now monopolized by these little people I fed, changed, played with, cleaned up after, chased around, bathed, and rocked to sleep each and every day. I’m not complaining, I love my job. In fact, being a mom has been my identity for so long that I have no idea what I’ll do with myself once my kids go off to college.
I know many people look forward to the day their kids leave the house. “I’ll finally have that extra bedroom for my craft room!” someone once said. I used to think about things like that too. Mostly on those tough days, like when the house was a mess, the kids were fighting, and I was sitting on the ground scrubbing sharpie drawings off the wall. But, parenting has actually gotten more fun as the kids have gotten older. You can actually have an adult conversation with your own kids. They have some of the same interests too, like food, movies, and traveling to new places. They’re also old enough to be more helpful around the house. And now that my son drives, I can have him run some of my errands. (like running back to the store to grab that avocado I forgot to get 🙈)
I’m not sure what I’ve done to deserve such great kids, but I feel blessed to have a good relationship with each of them. Instead of dreading the day they grow up and leave the house, I’ll have to learn to embrace the new life stage we’re in together when it comes. I’ll continue to be the supportive mom who’s always just a phone call away.
In the meantime, I’m thoroughly enjoying these last few years of raising my children. I may be too doting on them at times and spoil them unnecessarily, but that’s my way of showing love. I love with actions. So when you wake up and I have a big tray of blueberry breakfast cookies coming out of the oven, it means, “I love you so very much!”
These blueberry breakfast cookies are made out of wholesome ingredients, like oats, fruit, almond butter, and flaxseed. They’re super simple to throw together and fairly healthy too, making them a great mid-morning snack or on-the-go breakfast. Perfect for popping into lunch boxes or your gym bag for a post workout snack!
And if you love the ease of cookies/bars over a bowl of oatmeal, scroll down for even more ideas! Enjoy!
- 1 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup oat flour*
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup apple sauce or mashed ripe bananas
- ½ cup almond butter or sun butter
- 3–4 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1–2 tablespoons milk of choice or water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients—oats, oat flour, flaxseed, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir in apple sauce, almond butter, sweetener, and vanilla, mixing until well combined. If dough is dry, stir in 1-2 tablespoons of milk, until dough is slightly wet, but holds its shape when scooped. Fold in blueberries.
- Scoop cookies onto baking sheet by the ¼ cupfuls (I used an ice cream scoop) leaving a couple of inches in between each mound. Press slightly with wet hands to flatten each mound.
- Bake for 15–18 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned. Remove and let cool completely before serving. Makes 9-10 cookies.
- Cooled cookies and be wrapped well and stored in the freezer for several weeks. Just thaw and enjoy!
You May Also Enjoy These Similar Recipes: