From-scratch biscuits topped with creamy mushroom gravy. Gluten-free variation included. Vegan and vegetarian friendly.
- 1/4 cup butter, dairy-free butter, or neutral cooking oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 8 oz. mushrooms, stems removed and roughly chopped (I used baby portobellos. Can also substitute vegan “sausage” crumbles for mushrooms)
- 1/4 cup Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock, or more milk
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened original almond milk, or other milk of choice
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground sage*, optional (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme*, optional
- black pepper, to taste
- Prepare the biscuits and place into the oven once you add the mushrooms to the skillet
- Add onions and sauté until they begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Combine cornstarch with 1/2 cup stock or milk mixing until smooth. Whisk in remaining milk, making sure cornstarch is mixed thoroughly.
- Pour 1/3 of the milk mixture into the pan and stir until it begins to thicken. Slowly pour in the rest of the milk, stirring constantly until it thickens. Stir in seasonings, to taste. Cook until gravy is thick and bubbly. Can add a splash more milk/broth if gravy gets too thick.
- Cut biscuits in half, top with gravy and serve. Makes 6–8 servings.
*I also sometimes substitute these seasonings with Herbs de Provence. I’d suggest starting with less and adding more to taste.
- Category: Breakfast, bread