Fluffy pancakes are topped with caramelized bananas and a delicious coconut sugar caramel. Vegan friendly and free of refined sugar with a gluten free option.
Anyone else a big fan of breakfast? I’ve always been partial to breakfast foods, whether they’re eaten in the morning or for dinner. Sometimes I think breakfast just taste better when it’s for dinner. Although I pretty much love all the breakfast foods, one of my absolute favorites is pancakes, which I’m sure is pretty obvious from the ridiculous amount of pancake recipes I’ve shared here on the blog! #sorrynotsorry
The most popular pancake recipe is definitely these Vegan “Buttermilk” Pancakes, and for good reason too! They’re tender and fluffy, yet free of eggs, dairy, and gluten. Although they’re delicious on their own, they also make the perfect base for creative toppings, like berry sauces, fresh fruit, and bananas foster!
Something magical happens when you combine sweet bananas, caramel, and a stack of fluffy pancakes. Coconut sugar is combined with a little butter/coconut oil and almond milk and cooks down until thick and syrupy. Throw in some banana slices and a splash of vanilla, and you have a simple and healthier bananas foster!
The sauce itself is delicious with ice cream, on oatmeal, or poured over french toast or pancakes. It’s just really good in any shape or form!
These pancakes are simple to whip up and perfect for breakfast or dessert! I hope you’re able to give it a try!! Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons butter or coconut oil (can use dairy-free butter)
- ½ cup coconut sugar (brown sugar can also be used)
- ¼ cup almond milk or coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cinnamon, optional
- 2 large (or 3 medium) ripe, but firm, bananas, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped and lightly toasted Pecans or Walnuts, optional
- 1 batch Vegan "Buttemilk" Pancakes (for more banana flavor, add 1–2 mashed bananas to the batter)
- Melt butter and coconut sugar in a large skillet over medium heat on the stove, stirring occasionally, for 30–60 seconds. Add the milk, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Cook for 2–3 minutes over medium heat until the sugar melts and sauce begins to bubble. Add banana slices in a single layer across the skillet and cook for 1–2 minutes on each side, or until bananas are cooked to your liking and caramel sauce has thickened. Sauce will continue to thicken as it cools. Remove from heat and cover the pan to keep sauce warm.
- If you'd like your bananas caramelized, you can pan-fry them in coconut oil separately, then add them to the finished caramel.
- Prepare the Vegan "Buttemilk" Pancakes according to the directions in the recipe. If you'd like a stronger banana flavor, you can add 1–2 mashed ripe bananas to the pancake batter.
- Top a few pancakes with caramel bananas and spoon sauce overtop. Sprinkle toasted nuts over the pancakes and sauce for more crunch and flavor. Makes 2–3 servings.