This avocado and tomato bagel sandwich makes a delicious breakfast or lunch! The combination of flavors is so fresh and summery too! Add an egg for extra protein or leave off and use dairy free cream cheese to make it vegan friendly. Simply use a gluten-free bagel to make it completely gluten-free!
I look forward to the spring each year when all of my plants finally wake up from hibernation. It’s so exciting to see all the tiny green sprouts growing from the dirt and on the bare branches of my plants. It marks the beginning of warmer weather, backyard bbqs with family and friends, and fresh summer produce!
Each year I wait impatiently to see which herbs will grow back and which ones I’ll have to replace. For the past 4 years, my chive plant hasn’t just grown back, but it grows fuller with more chive blossoms every year. One of my favorite ways to use my chives is to make chive and onion cream cheese. It’s yummy on so many things, like toast, bagels, and sandwiches.
I also used it in this savory asparagus tart, which is as pretty as it is delicious!
This toasted bagel sandwich is a combo of so many yummy flavors! I start with a toasted gluten-free everything bagel, which I generously slather with my homemade chive and onion cream cheese. Then I top it with slices of heirloom tomatoes, creamy avocado slices, and lots of fresh basil. The basil adds such a fresh and delicious flavor, so don’t skip it!
It’s such a simple yet flavorful meal or snack that I’ve been eating it on repeat these past few weeks. Great way to use up some of those herbs growing abundantly in your herb garden too!
The perfect veggie sandwich:
- Bread: The perfect sandwich starts with good bread. The options are endless here—sourdough, white, wheat, bagels, buns, ciabatta, gluten-free, grain-free, etc. It can be plain or have sesame seeds, everything seasoning, or onions. Use your favorite!
- To toast or not to toast, that is the question: Toast, definitely!
- Creamy Spread: I love the chive and onion cream cheese addition, but mayo will also work in a pinch.
- Greens: Basil adds SO much flavor to this sandwich, but feel free to use a good lettuce or some baby spinach.
- Fillings: Tomato slices, avocado, cucumber, sprouts… for protein, you can add a fried egg, a few slices of turkey, vegan/regular bacon, etc. Lots of options!
- Flavor: Sprinkle of salt and pepper is a must, but you can also use everything bagel seasoning and/or pepperoncini or banana peppers to add extra flavor.
So many ways to customize this sandwich, but its definitely a must-try! Bon appétit!
You may also enjoy these similar recipes:
- This Simple Asparagus Tart has puff pastry baked with chive and onion cream cheese and fresh asparagus spears. Perfect spring/summer appetizer or lunch.
- If you’re a toast fan, this Heirloom Tomato Toast with Chive Cream Cheese has grilled toast slices topped chive cream cheese and tomato slices. It makes a simple and delicious snack, breakfast, or lunch!
- Who doesn’t love a savory galette?! This Grain-Free Heirloom Tomato Galette has a grain-free crust which is layered with an herby ricotta-like cashew cream and fresh heirloom tomato slices! It’s both healthy and delicious!