This avocado egg salad uses avocado instead of mayo for the dressing! Use it to make lettuce wraps or with crackers and toast. Makes a light and refreshing meal or snack.
As a homeschool, stay-at-home mom, we make a homemade breakfast, lunch, and dinner most days. Although I love food and making meals for my family, I really can’t be in the kitchen all day. Quick meals (that my children are willing to eat) are a must!
We don’t eat a lot of sandwiches, but will on occasion. Whenever we do, my kids’ favorites are pb&j (of course!), banana & mayo, (which sounds gross but is totally legit. Trust me.) and egg salad.
The version of egg salad I grew up eating was taught to me by my southern grandma. She loaded it down with Duke’s brand mayo, the one and only brand she’d use, then she’d add some minced onion, a splash of apple cider vinegar, and a few dashes of salt and pepper. She’d place a big scoop in between two slices of soft, white bread. It was a simple, homely meal, yet so very yummy.
I always looked forward to her food. Everything she made was delicious. It may not have been the healthiest, after all my grandma cooked like Paula Deen with lots of butter and oil, but boy was it tasty!
I miss my grandma. Her cooking, her kindness, and the way I could talk to her about anything. I continue to make the dishes often but have put a healthier twist on many of them.
Instead of using half a jar of mayo, I like to make egg salad with avocado, which makes a creamy and delicious base using this all-natural, healthy fat. I also keep it simple with a little minced onion, lemon juice to brighten the flavor, and a little salt and pepper.
Egg salad makes a wonderful sandwich, but you could also eat it with crackers or make a lettuce wraps. It’s creamy, hearty, full of healthy fat and protein. I think grandma would approve. 😊
- ½ large avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed (about 1 cup)
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½-1 tablespoon water, if needed
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 4 slices of bread of choice, toasted (Use gluten-free bread if needed)
- 1-2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, optional
- 1-2 teaspoons dijon mustard, optional
- extra salt and pepper
- tomatoes slices, as many as you’d like
- handful of fresh baby spinach or 2 pieces of romaine lettuce leaves
- Place 4 eggs into a small pot and cover fully with water. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook eggs at a gentle boil, uncovered, 10 minutes. Pour off hot water and gently crack each egg (this helps the shells come of easier.) Fill pot with cold water to stop cooking. Let eggs stand in cold water 10-15 minutes and then carefully peel off shells under cold running water. Chop egg and place into a medium bowl.
- Place cubed avocado, chopped egg, red onion, lemon juice, olive oil, a splash of water to moisten the mixture. Mix together and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast bread slices and spread mayo and mustard (optional) on one side. Top with avocado egg salad, tomato slices, extra salt and pepper, spinach leaves, and other slice of toast. Slice and half and serve. Makes 2 servings.
You May also enjoy these similar recipes: