Salad needn’t always include lettuce. This summer salad consists of juicy tomatoes, ripe avocado, fresh basil and mozzarella which are all drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and a sweet and tangy balsamic glaze!
It’s so fresh, very simple, and would make the perfect accompaniment to any meal or a quick side to bring to that next BBQ!
Balsamic glaze is a slow reduction of balsamic vinegar, which after being cooked down for about half an hour, thickens and becomes much more concentrated. Because it’s thick, it coats the tomatoes and avocado nicely and doesn’t fall to the bottom of the bowl, like regular vinegar does.
Often times I buy balsamic glaze already made (it’s near the regular balsamic vinegar at the grocery store) but you can easily make it yourself by simmering one cup balsamic vinegar in a saucepan over med-low heat for 20-30 minutes, or until the vinegar becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. You can even add a little honey or maple syrup to sweeten it up a bit and cut through some of the tang.
Use your favorite tomatoes or some from your garden! If you have the ability to grow a plethora of fresh veggies in your backyard, I am super
jealous happy for you! I’m still trying to figure out how to get my thumb to turn green!
After you get everything cut up and in the bowl, just drizzle on your olive oil and balsamic glaze, then season with salt and pepper.
That’s it. I know right, it’s too easy!
My family loves the fresh mozzarella. The good thing about it being in big chunks is that people like me, who can’t eat a lot of dairy, can just eat around it! You can also just leave out the cheese to make this dairy-free and vegan-friendly.
I hope you are having a lovely start to the summer! Enjoy!
- 3 cups tomatoes (about 1lb.) cut into wedges I used a mix of baby heirloom and kumato
- 1 whole ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped or left whole if small
- 8 oz., about 1 cup fresh mozzarella chunks, optional
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, enough to coat
- Drizzle of Balsamic Glaze
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine tomato and avocado slices in a large bowl. Add fresh basil, mozzarella, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze and toss to coat. Makes 4-6 servings.