A delicious rustic galette made with a tender gluten-free crust, fresh apples and cranberries. Can easily use ready-made pie dough for a quick and impressive dessert.
- Homemade pie crust (recipe below) or 1 sheet prepackaged pie dough
- 4 medium apples, about 4 cups, peeled and sliced thin or chopped into small chunks (I used a mixture of fuji, gala, and granny smith)
- 1/2 cup whole cranberries
- 1/3 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons Corn Starch or Arrowroot Starch
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- zest of 1/2 small orange, about 1/2 teaspoon (lemon zest can be used instead)
- pinch of salt
- Milk for brushing crust and turbinado sugar for sprinkling, optional
- 2 cups all purpose 1 to 1 gluten-free flour* (I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flourone !important; margin:0px !important;” />)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into chunks (Can also use cold Organic Palm Shorteningone !important; margin:0px !important;” />, if dairy-free)
- 1 egg
- 3–5 tablespoon ice cold water
- *If using a gf baking flour without Xanthan Gum, you can add 1 teaspoon for better results. It will also work without it, but may be a little more crumbly.
To Make GF Crust:
- Combine the flour, salt, and sugar into a bowl or the bowl of a food processor. Add cold butter and pulse or use a pastry blender to blend butter into the flour mixture. When the butter is well incorporated, mixture will be crumbly, blend in the egg and then add water one tablespoon at a time until the dough begins to stick together. Don’t add too much water or it will be sticky. If this happens just add a tad more flour to balance it back out. Form your dough into a flat round disc and cover with plastic wrap. Place dough into the fridge to chill while you prepare the apple filling.
- Preheat oven to 375F. For the apple filling, combine peeled, slice apples and cranberries in a large bowl. Gently fold in sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, zest, and salt.
Rolling The Dough:
- When dough is thoroughly chilled, remove from the fridge and place between two pieces of parchment paper. I find this is the easiest to roll and transfer the finished pie to the baking sheet. Roll dough into a large circle, until about 1/8-inch thick.
Putting It Together:
- Place parchment paper with rolled out pie crust onto your baking sheet. Scoop apple mixture into the center and carefully spread out leaving about a two-inch border. Use the parchment paper to carefully bring the edges of the dough over the filling, making pleats when needed, until all the dough is folded over. Pinch any cracks in the crust if necessary. Brush crust with milk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Place pie into the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until crust is golden and apples are tender. Let cool slightly before cutting.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-free