A moist and delicious cake topped with sweet apples, cranberries, and a coconut sugar crumb topping. Makes a delicious breakfast, afternoon treat, or impressive dessert! Free of eggs, dairy, refined sugar, and includes a gluten-free option as well.
Apple-Cranberry Crumb Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or for gf: 1 1/2 cup for cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour blend + 1/2 cup almond flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter/coconut oil or other oil of choice
- 2/3 cup maple syrup or honey (I used a combo of both)
- 3/4 cup milk of choice or unsweetened apple cider
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 apples, cored, halved, and sliced thinly (can peel first for less chewy texture)
- 1/2 cup cranberries, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8-inch or 9-inch springform pan and set aside.
- Make crumble topping by mixing together flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter or coconut oil until mixture is crumbly. Stir in nuts and set crumble topping aside.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add melted butter/oil, sweetener, milk, and vanilla. Beat 2-3 minutes or until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Scoop batter into the springform pan and smooth evenly throughout the pan.
- Core apples and cut in half. Slice each half thinly and arrange slices onto the batter in the pan. Top with cranberries and crumble topping.
- Place springform pan onto a baking sheet and place on the middle rack in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until cake is lightly brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Bake time will vary based upon the pan you use and your oven. Check on it after about 45-50 minutes and go from there.
- Let cake cool slightly and run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake from the sides of the pan. Remove the outside of the springform pan and carefully separate the bottom of the cake from the metal bottom with an offset spatula. Carefully transfer to the serving plate. Yields 8-10 servings.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free