This simple asparagus tart is not only delicious, but easy to make and has only a handful of ingredients. Perfect for brunch, an easy lunch or impressive appetizer. Can also be made dairy-free/vegan friendly by using dairy-free cream cheese.
Even though the weather hasn’t decided yet if it’s spring or winter still, I’m choosing to enjoy spring, or what’s left of it anyway. Living in the south has its pros and cons, with one major con being that there’s hardly a spring or fall season. It usually goes from cold to hot in the spring, and vice versa in the fall, with very few days of mild weather in between. Add on the weird cold spells we’ve been having lately and I’m afraid the short, but lovely, spring weather we usually enjoy in April will practically be nonexistent this year.
Oh well, it won’t keep me from enjoying all the yummy spring-y foods! Bring on the rhubarb, asparagus, and strawberries!
I’ve been wanting to make an asparagus tart for weeks now but have been patiently waiting for my little chive plant to grow big enough for me to snip a small bunch for the recipe. I was determined not to have to buy chives from the store as I have two baby chive plants growing in my garden. I have all these herb plants I grow every year, but I still have to buy fresh herbs from the store sometimes, because my plants don’t always have enough for me to harvest, especially in the beginning of the season. I mean, what good is having an herb plant when you still have to buy them from the store anyway?!
Towards the end of summer I’ll be drowning in fresh herbs, but what’s a girl to do until then?!
My patience paid off, because they not only grew big enough for me to harvest a few bunches of fresh chives, but they had also grown the prettiest chive blossoms to top the tart with! These blossoms make a beautiful garnish and add a deliciously delicate onion flavor too. That’s reason enough to go out and get you a chive plant! I’ll definitely be planting a few more in the garden this year so that I have an abundant supply next year. I’m already thinking of all the ways to use them…so excited!
Simple Asparagus Tart
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 6–8 servings 1x
This simple asparagus tart is easy to make, has only a handful of ingredients, and is so delicious! Can easily be made dairy-free/vegan friendly by using dairy-free cream cheese.
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 8 oz. regular/dairy-free cream cheese or mascarpone, softened
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2–3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- salt and pepper
- Chive blossoms, for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place a large piece of parchment paper onto the counter and lightly dust with flour.
- Transfer the thawed sheet of puff pastry to the parchment and roll out into a large rectangle, roughly 10″ or 12″ x 16″.
- Score a 1-inch border around the pastry and use a fork to prick all over the center of the rectangle (see video above for how-to.)
- Bake puff pastry for 15 minutes, until lightly golden.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, red onion, and chives.
- Spread all over the center of the puff pastry, leaving the one inch border plain.
- Top with asparagus spears and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Bake 20–30 minutes until asparagus is tender.
- Remove and let cool slightly before serving. Top with chive blossoms, if desired. Makes 6–8 servings.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Vegan, Dairy Free, Entree