If you love the combo of bananas, nuts, and chocolate you MUST try these chunky monkey breakfast cookies! Wholesome enough for breakfast, yet delicious enough for dessert! Gluten, dairy, and refined sugar free, plus vegan friendly too!
I can’t believe summer break is over already. I’m not exactly ready to give up my leisurely weekdays to start the new homeschool year, but it’ll be here next week whether I’m ready for it or not! The kids are in high school now and their curriculum only gets harder each year. I wonder how I graduated all those years ago, because I remember almost none of it. School, for me, is not like riding a bike, something I learned and never forgot—quite the opposite actually!
No, I may not be the best at helping with advanced theories or complex math problems, but I’m a pro at using the internet! What would we do without the use of Google these days?
With all of the “brain power” they’re using, healthy and energizing snacks are a must. These breakfast cookies are are full of wholesome ingredients, like oats, flax, chia, and banana, and very delicious too. I like to add a little peanut butter, because I love the combo of chocolate, banana, and peanut butter, but it’s totally optional. I think they’re yummy either way.
They’re great for breakfast on the go, a midday treat, or lunchbox snack. If you like recipes like this, be sure to try these Superfood Breakfast Cookies too! Enjoy!Print
Chunky Monkey Breakfast Cookies
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 8 cookies 1x
If you love the combo of bananas, nuts, and chocolate you MUST try these cookies! Wholesome enough for breakfast, yet delicious enough for dessert! Gluten, dairy, and refined sugar free, plus vegan friendly too!
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats use certified gluten-free oats, if needed
- 1/2 cup oat flour*
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or other nut/seed of choice
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 medium overripe bananas, peeled and mashed (must be ripe in order to add sweetness)
- 2 tablespoons melted or olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, coconut nectar/syrup, honey, or other liquid sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoons almond milk or other milk of choice
- optional: 1/2 cup natural unsweetened peanut butter/almond butter (may need to reduce milk if your nut butter is runny)
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl—oats, oat flour, chocolate chips, walnuts, ground flaxseed, chia seeds, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in mashed banana, coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk, and nut butter, (if including) until well blended. Let mixture rest for 4–5 mintutes, giving time for chia and flax to bind everything together. If your dough has gotten too thick, stir in an additional 1–2 tablespoons milk before scooping out onto your baking sheet.
- Measure dough out by the scant 1/4 cupful and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or lightly greased). The cookies do not spread on their own, so I like to press them a bit with my hand or a flat bottomed glass to flatten a bit.
- Bake for 15–18 minutes, or until cookies are lightly golden around the edges.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in a cool room or refrigerator for 2–3 days. Makes 8–9 cookies.
*Can make your own by finely grinding whole oats in a food processor or coffee grinder.
**Can substitute an equal amount of nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, or dry fruit of choice.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Gluten-Free, Snacks, Vegan