This simple deconstructed sushi bowl consists of all of the yummy ingredients to make the perfect veggie sushi roll, but is made much more quickly deconstructed in a bowl! Recipe courtesy of Sapana Chandra’s cookbook, Plant Power Bowls.
I love finding simple and fresh meal ideas to make for my family. I sometimes find myself making the same recipes over and over, so I was super happy to get Sapana Chandra’s new cookbook, Plant Power Bowls, in the mail, which includes an abundance of seasonal and delicious, plant-based recipes. Sapana is the author behind the blog Real + Vibrant and is always sharing yummy and healthy recipes on both her blog and Instagram.
I have so many recipes bookmarked already, but if there’s one thing my family and I love to indulge in, it’s sushi, so I knew I needed to make her Deconstructed Sushi Bowl first! My hubby and kids eat rolls like they’re tic tacs, so we don’t go out to eat it too often. We do, however, make it at home a lot since it’s much more economical. I like that you can add all of your favorite fillings without having to pay up-charges, like you would at a restaurant. It’s also a great way to use up all the fresh produce in your fridge, and an easy way to get your picky kids to eat their veggies!
We make these simple veggie sushi rolls often, but I love the idea of throwing everything together in a bowl for a quick and wholesome dinner. Sushi rice is topped with avocado, shaved carrot, cabbage, cucumber, edamame, mango, green onions, and radish. I like to eat it with nori strips and a drizzle of sriracha mayo, but this recipe is very customizable, so feel free to swap out any of the listed ingredients for your favorites or for those you have on hand!
These bowls were super fresh and delish! Can’t wait to try the other recipes in the cookbook! Check out the full recipe below and be sure to pick up a copy of Plant Power Bowls for even more healthy and delicious recipes!
© 2019 By Sapana Chandra. All rights reserved. Excerpted from PLANT POWER BOWLS by permission of Sasquatch Books.Print
Deconstructed Sushi Bowl
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
This simple dish consists of all of the yummy ingredients to make the perfect veggie sushi roll, but is made much more quickly deconstructed in a bowl! Recipe courtesy of Sapana Chandra’s cookbook, Plant Power Bowls, with a few adjustments.
- 1–2 cups cooked brown or white rice (I used the sushi rice from this recipe.)
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup chopped or sliced cucumber
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded or thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup diced fresh mango
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon toasted black sesame seeds
- 1/2 medium lime, cut into wedges
- 1 cup nori strips (optional)
Spicy Sriracha Dressing:
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in purified water for at least 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sriracha, use less or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Divide the ingredients between two bowls. Serve with optional nori strips and a drizzle of sriracha dressing.
- To make the sriracha dressing, drain and rinse soaking cashews. Combine everything in a blender—cashews, water, lemon/lime juice, sriracha, Tamari, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Blend for 1-2 minutes, until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed. Adjust seasonings, to taste.
- Category: entree, vegan, vegetarian