This apple-cranberry crumb cake is a moist and delicious cake topped with sweet apples, cranberries, and a cinnamon-sugar topping. Makes a delicious breakfast, afternoon treat, or impressive dessert! It’s also vegan friendly with gluten and refined sugar free options.
Of all the desserts, anything cake-y or bread-y usually get my attention first, while my hubby prefers fruity desserts, like pies or crisps. This cake is the best of both worlds—fluffy vanilla cake + apple crisp…the perfect marriage!
I like to toss a handful of cranberries into my apple desserts because it adds just a bit of tart to contrast the sweet. The batter is a moist vanilla cake, which is naturally sweetened with honey and/or maple syrup, which is then topped with thinly sliced apples and a cinnamon + sugar + pecan crumble—yep, it tastes as good as it sounds!
This cake would be perfect with your morning coffee, as an afternoon treat, or an evening dessert. Its rustic beauty is sure to impress your family and friends too! Enjoy!
Apple-Cranberry Crumb Cake
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
A moist and delicious cake topped with sweet apples, cranberries, and a coconut sugar crumb topping. Makes a delicious breakfast, afternoon treat, or impressive dessert! Free of eggs, dairy, refined sugar, and includes a gluten-free option as well.
Apple-Cranberry Crumb Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or for gf: 1 1/2 cup for cup gluten-free all-purpose baking flour blend + 1/2 cup almond flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter/coconut oil or other oil of choice
- 2/3 cup maple syrup or honey (I used a combo of both)
- 3/4 cup milk of choice or unsweetened apple cider
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 apples, cored, halved, and sliced thinly (can peel first for less chewy texture)
- 1/2 cup cranberries, optional
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free cup for cup blend
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar, pure cane sugar, or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon cold butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or almonds
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease an 8-inch or 9-inch springform pan and set aside.
- Make crumble topping by mixing together flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter or coconut oil until mixture is crumbly. Stir in nuts and set crumble topping aside.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add melted butter/oil, sweetener, milk, and vanilla. Beat 2-3 minutes or until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Scoop batter into the springform pan and smooth evenly throughout the pan.
- Core apples and cut in half. Slice each half thinly and arrange slices onto the batter in the pan. Top with cranberries and crumble topping.
- Place springform pan onto a baking sheet and place on the middle rack in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until cake is lightly brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Bake time will vary based upon the pan you use and your oven. Check on it after about 45-50 minutes and go from there.
- Let cake cool slightly and run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake from the sides of the pan. Remove the outside of the springform pan and carefully separate the bottom of the cake from the metal bottom with an offset spatula. Carefully transfer to the serving plate. Yields 8-10 servings.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free
You may also enjoy these similar recipes:
Apple Crumb Muffins
Healthy Apple Crisp
Healthier Apple Crumb Bars
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and purchase an item, I may receive a small commission on your purchase. It doesn’t affect the cost of the product at all and gives me the ability to pay for and maintain this blog. I never link to products I wouldn’t use myself. Thank you so much for your support!