A delicious blueberry peach coffee cake perfect for summer. Vegan friendly and refined sugar free with a gluten-free option. Recipe and photos updated May 2019.
This past month has been full of milestones for my first born son. He got his license, car, and his first job in just a few weeks. He’s loving the independence and adult responsibilities, but it has been way too emotional for this mama.
I get nervous every time he gets into his car so I stalk him through the Find My Friends app to make sure he gets to his destination safely. Hey, at least he doesn’t have to call me when he gets to each place anymore! 😉
I’ve always been an involved parent and have gotten use to being a part of everything, even more so since I homeschool. It’s hard to stand back and let my “baby bird” fly out of the nest, so to speak.
I know it’s a necessary part of parenting, our kids do in fact grow up eventually. I just can’t believe he’s almost an adult already! I mean, wasn’t I his age just a few years ago?!?!
Well, at least it felt like a few years ago…I don’t care how many, I’m still not old enough to be the parent of an adult! 😜
Unfortunately, time passes us by way too quickly. One moment you’re a kid, then you’re having kids, and before you know it, your kids and grand kids are having kids! 😳🙈
Omg, I’m definitely not ready for that! I’m so very thankful for this crazy, beautiful life, however fast it’s flying by. My goal is to always live in the moment with my friends and family, so I can truly cherish the precious time I get with them.
Life is short and tomorrow isn’t promised, so I choose to put the phone down so I can talk to my kids about their day. I choose to close the laptop and quit work a little early so I can go on a spontaneous date with my hubby.
I choose to turn off the tv so I can get outside and go for a walk with my family. I try to take every opportunity to choose people over our electronic distractions.
In celebration of my son’s recent milestones, we made this yummy cake with his favorite things—peaches and berries! It’s naturally sweetened, vegan friendly, and includes a gluten-free option too! The perfect summer treat!
Blueberry Peach Coffee Cake
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 10-12 servings 1x
A delicious summer coffee cake with juicy peaches and blueberries. Vegan friendly and refined sugar free with a gluten-free option.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or for gf: 1 1/2 Gluten Free 1-to-1 All Purpose Baking Flour + 1/2 cup almond flour + 1/3 cup coconut flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 2/3 cup maple syrup or honey (I used a combo of both)
- 3/4 cup almond milk or other milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ripe peaches, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds , optional
- sprinkle of turbinado sugar, optional
Lemon Syrup: (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour (or use baking spray) an 8 or 9-inch springform pan. You can also use a regular cake pan lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Into your mixing bowl, combine together the flour(s), baking powder, and salt. Add in melted butter, sweetener, milk, and vanilla. Pour batter into your prepared baking pan.
- Top the batter with the peach slices, placing them in a circular patter along the outer rim and continue laying them in the same circular patter in the center. Top the peaches with the blueberries. Finish by sprinkling your almonds along the outer edge of the cake and, if you choose, a small sprinkle of turbinado sugar over the whole cake.
- Place the cake into the oven on the middle rack. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until cake is puffed and center is set. True time will depend on your oven and the size pan you use. Start keeping an eye on it after about 40 minutes or so.
- For the syrup, combine lemon juice, honey, and butter in a small bowl (or saucepan.) Microwave for 30 seconds or so, (or heat over medium heat on the stove) until melted.
- Remove cake from the oven and pour the syrup over the hot cake so that it soaks in. Let cool slightly before removing the cake from the pan. Cake yields about 10–12 servings.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Dessert, Breakfast