These soft homemade dinner rolls are a family fave! They’re soft, fluffy, delicious, and can be made in an hour! Vegan friendly and refined sugar free too!
If there’s one thing I can’t refuse, it’s buttery soft homemade dinner rolls, fresh from the oven. I blame my mom. She said she ate her weight in bread when she was pregnant with me and now I’m obsessed with the stuff! Now I can’t eat just anything. I’m somewhat of a bread snob. You can keep your stale, prepackaged rolls from the store. It has to be fluffy and soft, with a hint of sweetness.
Oh, and preferably homemade!
These rolls are a family fave! We make them often, especially around the holidays. They are always on our table for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas!
If you’re a fan of my cinnamon rolls, it’s basically the same dough I use for them. And since I use instant yeast, they come together fairly quickly too, taking about an hour from start to finish!
These rolls are fluffy and tender, plus vegan friendly too! I hope you give them a try and enjoy them as much as we do! 🙂Print
Soft 1-Hour Dinner Rolls
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 16 rolls 1x
These rolls are a family fave! They’re soft, fluffy, delicious, and can be made in an hour! Vegan friendly and refined sugar free!
- 3–4 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon rapid rise or instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt (half salt if using salted butter)
- 3/4 cup warm almond milk or other milk of choice
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup oil of choice or melted butter
- 1/4 cup honey, pure cane sugar, or other sweetener of choice
Honey-Butter spread: (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (can use dairy-free)
- 1–2 tablespoons honey or other sweetener of choice
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour of flour in a large mixing bowl, with yeast and salt. Stir in warm milk, water, oil, and honey/sweetener. Keep stirring until dough is smooth. Stir in flour, a little at a time, until dough is soft and begins pulling away from the sides of the bowl. Don’t add too much flour or rolls will be hard and dry. You may not need the full amount of flour.
- Cover bowl and let rest for 5–10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 9×13 pan or two round pie pans and set aside.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into 16–20 pieces. I usually just keep cutting the dough in halves until each piece is a little larger than the size of a golfball. Dust your hands and the dough with flour, if it gets too sticky.
- Take each piece of dough and shape into a smooth ball. Place the balls in the greased pans close together. Cover each pan with a damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 20–30 minutes.
- Once rolls have risen, place pans into preheated oven and bake for 20–25 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned and centers are fully cooked. May take longer if your rolls are larger.
- While rolls are baking, mix together softened butter and honey. Brush over warm rolls before serving.
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Dairy Free, Vegan, Sides