Fluffy biscuits and mushroom gravy is a delicious vegan/vegetarian-friendly meal with a gluten-free variation included!
My children and I are three peas in a pod. We are all introverts and love to travel. We enjoy trying new foods and *always* expect dessert after dinner. We’re also bread addicts and have a hard time passing up anything bread-y. Rolls, croissants, biscuits, doughnuts—we eat it all, probably more often than we should! 🙈
Needless to say, biscuits and gravy have long been a favorite dish in our family. I’m not talking about biscuits-from-a-can and packaged gravy either. I learned from my southern grandma that with some practice you could make almost anything from scratch just as quickly as you could make its pre-packaged counterpart. It tastes much better too!
I do make turkey sausage gravy on occasion, but I like to make as many plant-based meals throughout the week to balance out our diet. My kids, who aren’t usually big fans of mushrooms, even liked this dish, which is saying a lot! It’s very flavorful and simple to make too. Perfect meal for weekend brunch or breakfast for dinner. For extra protein, my hubby likes to fry up a few eggs to top his with, but aside from that, this meal is vegetarian/vegan friendly and can easily be made gluten-free using this gluten-free biscuit recipe.
If you give these fluffy biscuits and mushroom gravy a try, please let me know in the comments below! Enjoy, friends!Print
Fluffy Biscuits and Mushroom Gravy
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 5–7 servings 1x
From-scratch biscuits topped with creamy mushroom gravy. Gluten-free variation included. Vegan and vegetarian friendly.
1 batch Fluffy Biscuits or Gluten-Free Fluffy Biscuits
- 1/4 cup butter, dairy-free butter, or neutral cooking oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 8 oz. mushrooms, stems removed and roughly chopped (I used baby portobellos. Can also substitute vegan “sausage” crumbles for mushrooms)
- 1/4 cup Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock, or more milk
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened original almond milk, or other milk of choice
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground sage*, optional (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme*, optional
- black pepper, to taste
- Prepare the biscuits and place into the oven once you add the mushrooms to the skillet
- Add onions and sauté until they begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Combine cornstarch with 1/2 cup stock or milk mixing until smooth. Whisk in remaining milk, making sure cornstarch is mixed thoroughly.
- Pour 1/3 of the milk mixture into the pan and stir until it begins to thicken. Slowly pour in the rest of the milk, stirring constantly until it thickens. Stir in seasonings, to taste. Cook until gravy is thick and bubbly. Can add a splash more milk/broth if gravy gets too thick.
- Cut biscuits in half, top with gravy and serve. Makes 6–8 servings.
*I also sometimes substitute these seasonings with Herbs de Provence. I’d suggest starting with less and adding more to taste.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Breakfast, bread
You May Also Enjoy These Similar Recipes:
Gluten-Free Fluffy Biscuits