Did you know May is National Salad month? Don’t you just love these food holidays which gives us every excuse to eat (and post pictures of) all the yummy things? With Cinco de Mayo only a few days away, you better believe my first salad of the month just had to be something inspired by Mexican flavors. Thankfully, Taylor Farms has a Southwest Chopped Salad which makes this salad come together so easily.
The salad is already washed, chopped, and ready to go. It even has a blend of romaine lettuce, cabbage, carrots, and cilantro, which I love not only for the flavor, but it also has the perfect crunchy texture you look for in a salad. It’s so convenient because it already comes with everything you need to make a quick and delicious salad, including some toppings and a dressing. You can keep it simple by using the kit alone or you can use it as a base to add some additional veggies and/or a protein, like grilled chicken or fish.
I loaded this salad with my favorite taco fillings, like black beans, corn, avocado, onions, and peppers. I even took a couple of the veggies one step further and grilled them to bring out even more flavor. I’m telling you, that extra simple step totally took this salad to the next level!
The only thing a great salad needs to make it even better is a good dressing. I used the cilantro dressing that came with the salad kit and just blended in an avocado and fresh lime juice. A quick whirl in the blender and voila, an easy “homemade” dressing that is so creamy and delicious.
Now it’s your turn to show off your best salad! To celebrate salad month, Taylor Farms is hosting a giveaway on their Instagram page throughout the entire month of May. They will be awarding one lucky winner each week with a month’s supply of their Chopped Salad Kits! Here’s how to enter:
1) Follow @YourTaylorFarms on Instagram
2) Create an original Instagram post with a photo featuring your best salad and add the tags #SweetSaladSkills and #TaylorFarms in the main post caption (not as a comment after you have posted) for a chance to win!
The contest is for U.S. residents only and will remain open until 5/31/17 at 10:00am pst. Taylor Farms will choose a total of 5 lucky winners/1 winner every week, which will be announced on the @YourTaylorFarms Instagram page. Good luck!
- 2 (10 oz) Taylor Farms Southwest Chopped Salad kits
- 2 ears of fresh corn, husks and silks removed
- 2 avocados, peeled and pitted (one will be used for dressing)
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup sliced English cucumber
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced and quartered
- 3-4 tablespoons milk of choice (for dressing)
- ½ lime, plus additional for serving (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- tortilla chips, for serving (optional)
- Open the Taylor Farms salad package and remove the dressing/topping packet from the bag. Empty salad contents into a large serving bowl and set aside.
- Preheat a gas grill or grill pan to medium-high. Place ears of corn and whole bell peppers onto the hot grill and lightly char on all sides. Alternatively, if you have a gas stove you can also place corn and peppers directly over the flame to roast, turning often until lightly toasted on all sides.
- Slice peppers in half and discard seeds and stem. Slice peppers and add to the salad.
- Cut kernels off the cob and add to the salad, along with one sliced avocado, drained black beans, tomatoes, cucumber, and onion. Top with salt and pepper and gently toss together until ingredients are well blended. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- For the dressing, blend the two cilantro dressing packets from the salad kit along with the other peeled and pitted avocado, and the juice of ½ lime in a blender until creamy. Add milk of choice a tablespoon at a time and blend until dressing is thin enough to drizzle. Blend in a pinch of salt, if needed. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Before serving, top salad with tortilla strips and pumpkin seed mix from the kit. Serve with additional tortilla chips, lime wedges, and the avocado-cilantro dressing. Serves 4-6.
This post was sponsored by Taylor Farms, but all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Wife Mama Foodie!