I’m that person who loves eating soup anytime of the year, but especially in the colder months when I spend most of my time wrapped up in a blanket (and in front of a space heater 😁). This purple potato & cauliflower soup is not only beautiful to look at, it’s chock-full of vibrant veggies and free of gluten, grains, & dairy. It’s vegan and paleo friendly too!
I knew I wanted to make soup when I saw these gorgeous veggies on my recent trip to the grocery store. I was hoping their color would keep after roasting and boiling, and boy was I happy when they blended into the loveliest shade of purple.
It’s so simple to throw together too, with roasting being the most difficult part of the simple process. However, if you’re pressed for time you can simply forgo roasting and just boil them a little longer. Serve as an appetizer or with some crusty bread or a grilled sandwich for a hearty meal. Feel free to use regular sweet potatoes/cauliflower/carrots if you can’t find the purple variety (it will taste the same).
I hope you give it a try! Don’t forget to tag me in your picture if you post on social media. Enjoy, friends!
- avocado or coconut oil for drizzling in the pan
- 4-5 cups medium sized cauliflower florets (any color)
- 2 heaping cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes (purple or orange)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ cup sliced fennel bulb
- 4-6 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped (purple or orange)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 48 oz. low sodium chicken or vegetable broth, more may be needed
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place cauliflower florets and sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Place on the bottom rack of the oven for 30 minutes, flipping veggies midway through baking, until veggies have began to caramelize and are slightly tender.
- To make the soup base, drizzle a little oil into a large dutch oven/pot and place on the stove over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Stir in fennel, garlic, and carrots. Continue to cook vegetables until fragrant and slightly wilted.
- Add roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes to the pot. Pour in enough broth to generously cover all the veggies, about 6-8 cups. Bring soup to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer until large vegetables are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork, about 10-15 minutes. Season broth with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer soup to a high-powered blender (may need to do a few batches) and blend until creamy. Add additional broth to thin or seasoning, if needed.
- Serve soup warm. Optional: top with homemade croutons (bread cubes pan-fried with a little butter), quality olive oil, yogurt, coconut cream, or sprigs of fennel.