This simple heirloom tomato grilled veggie salad is easy to make and delicious. It’s a combination of fresh and grilled veggies topped with a lemon vinaigrette.
Here in the south, we don’t get to ease our way into summer…you just open the door one day and it smacks you in the face! The good news is, the warmer weather brings us all the delicious summer veggies and one of my favorite ways to enjoy this harvest is in a big salad.
Salad doesn’t always have to include lettuce, in fact, some of my favorite salads don’t include lettuce at all, like this corn salad and this caprese salad. I just toss all of my favorite veggies in a large bowl along with a good vinaigrette. This time, I even grilled up a few of the firmer veggies for more flavor. It’s so simple, yet very delicious.
You can’t get much fresher than this! Salads like these make the perfect side for picnics and BBQs. Feel free to substitute your favorite summer veggies or use regular tomatoes, if you don’t have access to heirloom. Enjoy!
- 1–2 large fresh ears of corn, shucked (omit for paleo friendly version)
- ½–1 cup asparagus, ends trimmed and chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, ends trimmed, sliced lengthwise, and chopped into ½-inch chunks
- 1 yellow squash, ends trimmed, sliced lengthwise, and chopped into ½-inch chunks
- 1 medium red onion, cut into large chunks
- 1–2 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ½–1 cup baby heirloom tomatoes, larger ones halved
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped, plus more whole leaves for decoration (optional)
- handful of sorrel, optional
- 1 watermelon radish, thinly sliced (optional)
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil, plus more for brushing onto grilled veggies
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey, optional
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- plenty of salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place corn, zucchini, squash, asparagus, and onion on a large baking pan. Drizzle a bit of oil over top and toss to coat. Place corn onto the hot grill and cut veggies into a grill basket. Grill corn for a few minutes per side, until lightly charred. Grill veggies until slightly tender.
- Remove corn from the grill and cut kernels off the cob. Place into a large bowl along with grilled veggies, tomatoes, and basil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Combine oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, garlic, honey, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss to combine. Best served right away or refrigerate until needed.
You may also enjoy these similar recipes: