A Flourless brownie is topped with raspberry flavored whipped coconut cream and fresh berries. A fun and delicious way to enjoy dessert!
Anyone who knows me well knows how much I love pizza. I don’t know why I love it as much as I do, especially because I have a sensitivity to both dairy and gluten 😳 but I still indulge in good pizza every once in a while. But since I can’t have the gluten and dairy laden pizza often, I’ve been enjoying my dessert pizzas!
There are so many recipes out there for dessert pizzas, but most of them are made with boxed brownies or prepackaged sugar cookie dough and while you can use those if you need to, this homemade brownie is super easy to throw together and is free of gluten, grain, and dairy! It’s also sooo deliciously fudgy and just the perfect brownie in my opinion 🙂
The topping is cold coconut cream—the creamy part of the coconut milk which easily separates from the liquid when refrigerated—whipped together with ground, freeze-dried raspberries. It’s what gives it that pretty pale pink color, but you can choose to omit the raspberries and just use plain whipped coconut cream on the pizza.
The coconut cream is then topped with a mixture of delicious berries and, if you like, some edible flowers and sprigs of mint! This is a delicious and simple dessert, although I dare say it is sure to impress your friends and family!
If you’re not a big fan of chocolate then
we can’t be friends 😜 check out this other dessert pizza made with a grain-free shortbread cookie crust and tropical fruit!
- 2 cups semi sweet or dark chocolate chips, separated (I like Enjoy Life brand for dairy-free)
- ½ cup coconut oil or butter, plus extra for greasing pan
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup arrowroot starch or Corn Starch
- 1 cup of cold coconut cream,* about 1-2 cans full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream, refrigerated overnight (can also use 12 oz cream cheese, if not dairy-free. May need to add a splash of milk to thin.)
- 2 tablespoons honey or other sweetener of choice (I like to use a thick raw honey)
- ½ cup freeze-dried raspberries, optional (omit to keep topping white)
- 3 cups mixed berries (I used strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
- edible flowers and mint for decorating, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 10 or 12-inch cake pan, line with a round piece of parchment paper (to fit the bottom) and set aside.
- Combine 1½ cup of the chocolate chips, coconut oil/butter, and salt in a medium saucepan and place on the stove over medium-low heat. Stir continuously until chocolate is melted. Turn off the heat and stir in sugar until dissolved. Let the mixture cool down some before adding the eggs. Whisk in eggs and mix thoroughly. The mixture should begin to thicken and become semi-gelatinous. Stir in arrowroot/cornstarch and remaining ½ cup chocolate chips. At this point batter should be really thick.
- Pour brownie batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly across the pan. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 16 to 20 minutes or just until the center is set. Careful not over-bake. Let cool completely before removing the brownie from the pan. I flip it out onto a cutting board so I can remove the parchment paper (if it's stuck to the bottom of the brownie) and then invert it onto my serving plate.
- *You can also use 8oz of cream cheese or mascarpone cheese instead of the coconut cream. Beat together with the honey (or other sweetener) and 1-2 tablespoons of milk, just enough to make creamy and spreadable.
- If using the freeze-dried raspberries, grind them in a food processor or place into a plastic baggie (make sure all the air has been squeezed out) and mash with a meat mallet or wooden spoon until it becomes a powder.
- Remove the cold, hardened cream from the coconut milk can and discard the liquid (or use in a smoothie!)
- Place into a mixing bowl and beat the cream until fluffy. Add the honey (or other sweeter of choice) and raspberry powder, if using and continue to beat until creamy.
- Spread the coconut cream onto the brownie crust, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. Top with fresh berries and garnish with mint sprigs and edible flowers, optional.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.